Blame it on the Books

We have a healthy but addictive obsession with all things books.

Review

Review

Blog Archive

Friday, July 18, 2014

Harps Song by Cassie Shine


Harp's Song (Harp's Song #1)Title: Harps Song
Author: Cassie Shone
Pages: 302
Publisher: Self-published
Pub Date: November 4th, 2013
Source: Netgalley
Add to Goodreads
In just a few months Harp Evans will be officially coming of age and graduating from high school. She will be free from the mother that never wanted her, the house that never felt like home, and the disappointment of the last seventeen years. What she doesn’t know is that her mother has been holding onto a secret that has the potential to derail her dreams and destroy her already faulty sense of self. 

A self-proclaimed recluse, Harp spends most of her time practicing the cello, in the hopes of earning a full scholarship that will grant her freedom, but will also send her away from her best friend Connor Williams, who is becoming more than just a friend. 

As revelations are made, will Harp still feel the same way about leaving everyone that cares about her behind? Or will she continue to pursue the life she’s been dreaming of for as long as she can remember?

Follow on Bloglovin



For once, this is a book that I had no expectations for. I was solely basing my expectations on the cover and the blurb. They both looked and sounded really good. Once I started reading I was sucked into Harp’s world, and even if I tried to get out I don’t think I could have left.

It was such a beautiful and easy read that it wasn't hard to keep reading. Harp has a lot of self-loathing problems because of her abusive mother. She was an only child and the only person who she let in and trusted was her best friend Connor. Even though they had a lot of physical contact it was never sexual or more than friends. It’s probably the only reason she trusted him like that. The only other think Harp loved more than Connor was her music, she played the Cello and she knew that was her ticket out of her mother’s abuse.

I made a decision a long time ago. After I turned eighteen and graduated from high school, I would leave Liberty, Iowa and never look back. I would live life for me – the way I deserved.”

Harp had trouble letting people in, therefore besides Connor the only other people we meet are Ethan and Emma who are twins she goes to school with and Connor’s mom Catherine. Emma and Ethan were believable character, They were sweet and funny but at the same time overly willing to please her. It makes since Ethan was Connor’s best friend and he wanted to get along with Harp. Catherine on the other hand was a little less believable, I don’t know any mother that would let her teenage son sleep alone with another teenage girl. Even if that girl has serious issues.

“After so many years of hearing someone tell you how ugly you are, at some point, you start believing it regardless of what the rational part of your brain is telling you.”

I also had a big issue with Harp’s mom, maybe because it felt like time went so quickly in the book but when things changed for her it felt to rushed and a little to random. Even though we get an idea of why she changed it’s not really expanded on.

I can see the honesty in her face and hear the quiet pain in her words, but it’s hard to reconcile that with what I've heard from her throughout my life .”

The one thing this book was not short on was the cute romance. As Connor and Harp’s relationships starts to change there’s a lot of room for “Aw’s” and swooning.  It wasn't a perfect relationship but it was an adorable one.

That’s my girl,” he says kissing my forehead again. “You are the bravest, strongest, most resilient, beautiful, loving, wonderful, amazing person I know and I love you.”

TL;DR Gif:

    
Overall it was a beautifully written book, that was both emotional while having comical relief. We cried, laughed, and fell in love with Harp. One last note, this book is heavy on abuse and if you or anyone you know is going through something reach out or call the abuse hotline: 877-995-5247.

~ Thank You Netgalley ~



2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this book before, but it sounds really good! It sounds like Harp has had a tough road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does, and its fun to see her battle it :)

      Delete