Blame it on the Books

We have a healthy but addictive obsession with all things books.

Review

Review

Blog Archive

Monday, March 24, 2014

Mary Bennet Review

No one who has ever seen me would suppose me a heroine. My situation in life, the character of my father and mother, indeed my own person and disposition are all against me.
MARY BENNET
Mrs Bennet is determined that all five of her daughters must marry. Mary overhears a conversation between her parents that shatters her already fragile sense of self-worth. She knows she is the least attractive of the sisters but to hear that her attempts to overcome this by being intelligent and accomplished are laughable sends her into a deep depression.
Mary and her her sister Kitty are sent to Derbyshire so that their elder sister, Mrs Darcy, can introduce them to suitable young gentlemen. Mary is satisfied to remain a spinster and is shy with gentleman. But she does decide she should try and improve herself.
On the way to Derbyshire she meets a strange gentleman who she considers ill mannered. However she is intrigued by his knowledgeable conversation about old buildings.
On arrival at Pemberley, the home of the Darcy’s, Mary discovers that the stranger is a Mr Sharnbrook of Kent and also a house guest. Mr Sharnbrook is an amateur archaeologist and has come to Pemberley to excavate possible burial mounds as part of his studies. Mary is interested in his work and offers to help him sort out his notes. Engrossed in the work, her spirits begin to lift.
A continuation of Pride and Prejudice beginning eight months after the end of Jane Austen's novel, Mary Bennet tells the story of how the Bennet's neglected middle daughter tries to overcome the disadvantages of her character and find happiness.
My Rating:4
My Review
Mary Bennet, another Bennet sister looking for love and happiness. I loved Pride and Prejudice, and Allan has continued  the story with another of the beloved sisters. From the writing, to the language, it felt as if nothing had changed, and I was back in the world of innocent love, lavish lifestyles, and ancient traditions. I was gifted a copy of this book for review by the author, and I was not disappointed. As always, I don't like to give away spoilers to a good book, but I would recommend this book to anyone who is a Fan of Jane Austin. I gave this book four stars because it was a great story and if I was given a challenge to write a book set in that time frame, you better believe I would have messed the language up. You will love reading about Mary and Mr. Sharnbrook.

1 comment:

  1. Glad that you would recommend Mary Bennet to Austen fans Briana.

    Thank you for taking part in Kate's tour.
    Shaz

    ReplyDelete