Blame it on the Books

We have a healthy but addictive obsession with all things books.

Review

Review

Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Waiting on Wednesday #15

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Breaking The Spine where we talk about books we cannot wait to read! This is a special week because from here on out my Co-Blogger Bree will be joining me! Our picks this week are...



The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)Title: The Jewel
Author: Amy Ewing
Publisher: Harper Teen
Pub Date: September 2nd, 2014

Add to Goodreads
The Jewel means wealth. The Jewel means beauty. The Jewel means royalty. But for girls like Violet, the Jewel means servitude. Not just any kind of servitude. Violet, born and raised in the Marsh, has been trained as a surrogate for the royalty—because in the Jewel the only thing more important than opulence is offspring.

Purchased at the surrogacy auction by the Duchess of the Lake and greeted with a slap to the face, Violet (now known only as #197) quickly learns of the brutal truths that lie beneath the Jewel’s glittering facade: the cruelty, backstabbing, and hidden violence that have become the royal way of life.

Violet must accept the ugly realities of her existence... and try to stay alive. But then a forbidden romance erupts between Violet and a handsome gentleman hired as a companion to the Duchess’s petulant niece. Though his presence makes life in the Jewel a bit brighter, the consequences of their illicit relationship will cost them both more than they bargained for.


Why am I Excited? 
That cover is breathtaking!  The whole idea seems so intriguing and it mixes the ugly with the beautiful which sounds like an interesting mix. Lastly I'ts been compared to the selection which is one of my favorite books and makes this an insta-read 

Bree Picked....
The Mermaid's Pearl
Title: The Mermaids Pearl
Author: Brooke Kennedy
Pub Date: August 27th, 2014
Add to Goodreads 


Raewyn is tougher than your average mermaid princess. She lives in a fortress far beneath the surface of the ocean, where she constantly breaks the rules. Fear of extinction has caused the merfolk to arrange marriages and take away romantic freedoms, causing Raewyn’s hopes and dreams of true love to crumple. After a quest gone wrong, she finds herself held captive aboard the Devil’s Pearl, among the worst humans of all—pirates. 

Captain Aiden Flynn is handsome and charming, spending his time sailing the seas and hording treasure. His villainous reputation has even reached the depths of the ocean. When he finds a dark-haired beauty ensnared in his net, he puts on his best charms in hopes of finding out just who she is. 

Will his dangerous, yet charming, demeanor win her over? Or will he fall, as many other men have, to the wiles of a mermaid princess?

Why am I excited?

I am a huge fan of Once Upon A Time so when a friend of mine wrote a bit of fan fiction about Hook, I jumped at a chance to read it. She expanded the story out and now the only thing that remains is a devilishly handsome pirate. I can't wait to read the final product because I can't resist a bad boy especially one with man-liner and his own ship!

What Are You Waiting For This Wednesday? If you made a post, feel free to leave a comment with a link :) 



























 Follow on Bloglovin

50 comments:

  1. I think The Jewel sounds really good. I hope you both enjoy your picks this week.
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for Jewel either, it sounds like something different from the other books, I hope I won't be disappointed. I haven't heard about The Mermaids Pearl yet and I don't really like mermaid books but this sounds amazing, I think I'll give it a chance. :)
    Great picks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your picks this week! I feel like everyone already read Jewel except me and it makes me sad lol Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agreee! I haven't had a chance to read it so we're on the same boat ;)

      Delete
  4. Amazing picks this week! The Jewel looks great! I hadn't heard of it before, but I will definitely pick it up when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any YA fantasy for awhile. I'm not sure why. Looks like it might be time! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YA Fantasy definitely keeps getting better and better :)

      Delete
  6. Great covers, hope you both get to read them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait for the Jewel either! They're both great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cover for The Jewel! It sounds really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They both sound good, but I'm really interested in The Mermaid's Pearl. I love what you said about how it came about. I'll be sure to keep my eye out for it! Also, thanks for visiting My WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice picks. Both sound interesting and even better not long to wait to release day. Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know the book but I looooove The Mermaids Pearl's cover!!!

    Sofia @ SofiaLovesReading

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have The Jewel, but I have not read it yet! I hope you enjoy it when you read it :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Jewel sounds really interesting. I haven't read the Selection, is it really good? The Mermaid's Pearl sounds really interesting too. I haven't read a good mermaid book in a long time. Thanks for visiting my blog and being my first comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look like some great reads. I honestly did not know about them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen this one around and it looks pretty interesting. There sure are a lot of Handmaid's Tale-esque novels coming out lately. Thanks for stopping by our WOW!

    Amber R. @ Bibliophilia, Please

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm really excited for The Jewel, too! I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on it but it's supposed to be similar to The Selection series and I enjoyed those. Hopefully we both enjoy it when we read it! This is my first time hearing about The Mermaid's Pearl. Mermaid books are always really hit or miss for me so I don't know if I'll read it or not.

    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've heard mixed things about The Jewel but it definitely sounds interesting!! Never heard of The Mermaids Pearl but I'd love to read a story about mermaids and pirates! Thanks for stopping by my WoW :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh these are some awesome picks you've got there! I've seen the jewel around and it sounds interesting. The second book is like nothing I've read about before and I love how it sounds! *drops on TBR-lost*
    Hope you enjoy the books when they come out and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oo, good pick! I'm really excited for the Jewel too. It sounds great and the cover is gorgeous!
    Ariel @ Bookish Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've seen a lot of bloggers that have already picked up The Jewel. I almost requested it, but ended up choosing not to until I read some other review books first.

    WOW
    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Mermaid's Pearl sounds really cool. Mermaids have never really been my thing, but I might have to change that. We'll see. Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Both of these sound really interesting. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These both sound really great! I can't wait to read both :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are both new to me and I am very happy to have discovered them. They're books I would love to read. Thanks for sharing these great finds!
    Monique @ Mo_Books

    ReplyDelete
  25. I actually have a review of The Jewel going up tomorrow. It was pretty good. The Mermaid's Pearl sounds interesting. I hadn't heard of it before. Thanks for stopping by My WoW and sharing yours!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am currently reading THE JEWEL :) I got a paperback UK cover ARC. I saw both covers but I love the UK cover more.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The Jewel definitely sounds something I would be interested in. Good picks.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I do love this cover of The Jewel, but the UK/Australian cover is just as beautiful. I am so excited to read this. I got an ARC of it so I'll be reading it soon. Great pick.

    Love the cover of The Mermaid's Pearl, sounds very intriguing. Another great pick. Thanks for stopping by my WoW.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Haven't heard of Mermaid Pearl but I'm loving the spooky-ish cover! Thanks for stopping by my WoW. - meghann

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Nemo! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog earlier. :)

    Wow, these both look awesome! And Mermaid's Pearl is your friend's fanfiction!? That's great! It sounds very interesting and will definitely be adding both of these to my TBR pile. I adore the cover for The Jewel and agree with Nemo - mixing the beautiful and ugly should lead to a great story.

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think The Jewel sounds really promising. I don't usually read fanfiction but I love Once Upon a Time and Hook as he is portrayed on the show. If Emma doesn't want him, I'll take him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my, I can't pick which book I'm more excited about now. I hadn't heard about the Mermaid Pearl before and it sounds amazing!!! I haven't read a good mermaid/pirate book in a long time and this one looks promising.

    -Mari

    ReplyDelete
  33. These both look like great picks! I already have The Jewel on my list, for sure. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for stopping by my wow!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yes, v. excited for The Jewel, too, and Mermaid's Pearl looks fun! Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yes! I'm very much looking forward to reading The Jewel as well. Mermaid's Pearl sounds interesting. Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have an ARC of The Jewel, but I haven't started it yet. I haven't heard of Mermaid's Pearl, but it sounds awesome. Great picks! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you for stopping by my page. I haven't heard of either of these books, but I gotta admit The Jewel sounds like it's going to be an awesome book! I'm gonna add it to my TBR lol.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fantastic pick! It was mine a few weeks ago! I can't wait to read it! :)

    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  39. I have an eARC of the Jewel, but I don't think I'll be able to read it soon. I hope you like it, I've heard it's really good!
    Thanks for stopping by at The reader lines! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I want The Jewel, too, and I have a eARC of it, need to read it! The Mermaid's Pearl looks pretty great! Thanks for stopping by! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  41. The Jewel sounds like it could be really interesting and totally readable. Hopefully it lives up to its promise! And I've never heard of The Mermaid's Pearl but I'm a sucker for pirate books so I'm definitely curious! Onto the TBR it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I keep seeing the Jewel around, I'll have to look into it. But I haven't heard of the other one. Great picks.

    Dreams @ Once Upon A Dream Books

    ReplyDelete
  43. The cover on The Jewel really is pretty. Both books sound good. Hope you enjoy them. And thanks for checking out my WoW at Through Raspberry Colored Glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I absolutely cannot wait to pick up The Jewel! And it's so prettttty! I haven't heard of The Mermaids Pearl, but I'm still searching for a fantastic mermaid book, and it sounds good! :) Great picks!!

    Rachel @ Paper Cuts

    ReplyDelete
  45. The Mermaid's Pearl looks and sounds really good and I haven't seen it before. Thanks for sharing!

    Tressa @ Wishful Endings

    ReplyDelete