Blame it on the Books

We have a healthy but addictive obsession with all things books.

Review

Review

Blog Archive

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher Book Review (Bree)



When reclusive novelist Senna Richards wakes up on her thirty-third birthday, everything has changed. Caged behind an electrical fence, locked in a house in the middle of the snow, Senna is left to decode the clues to find out why she was taken. If she wants her freedom, she has to take a close look at her past. But, her past has a heartbeat... and her kidnapper is nowhere to be found. With her survival hanging by a thread, Senna soon realizes this is a game. A dangerous one. Only the truth can set her free.



My Rating 2 little stars
My Review

Let me just start off by saying I didn't read any reviews before buying this book. I bought it on the pure knowledge that Colleen Hoover kept hyping about it, it must be good. Never read anything from this author either. I went in with an untainted pallet. It just wasn't my cup of tea, hence the 2 stars. Why didn't I like it, you ask? Well in a nut shell without spoilers... The plot was confusing, moved to slow, and not active enough. I had to force myself to finish it. The rest may contain slight spoilers, nothing major. I did want to mention that i did connect with one part of the story. When everything around her fell apart. There was this moment when she said she couldn't feel anything. The term used, i believe, was emotional morphine. It lets you numb the pain. That was beautiful and raw. 

Part two *slight spoilers*
Well in a psychological thriller you need a thrill. We have these two characters who wake up trapped in a home, but they can't get out. Instead of planning and trying to break free, they sit it out, even when they are able to open the door why don't they pack their things and run? Make a SOS symbol outside the home or something?? Throughout the novel the characters hardly even touch on the subject that one of them may, in fact, be the perpetrator. Nothing happens. One little accusation. Then they hardly spend time trying to figure out who it was who trapped them. When they figure out it is some sort of game, it takes her forever to do anything to help them get out. The novel spends more time talking about how they eat their food, how much food they have, and who prepares it rather than on the actual premises of the book. I found myself scanning through in boredom about 30% through. Then halfway through the book it suddenly turns into a flashback in past tense, and it comes so sudden. It’s written more like another story and less like a flashback. Throughout the flashback she should have been searching for clue or instances to figure out how they got there and why. In the end, when we find out who it is, it is sudden. I felt like I was hit in the side of the head by a sledge hammer. WTF? No clues are given throughout the book and the motive was still unclear! The book in a whole was to help the character figure out her issues, but I am still unclear as to what her issues were. She claims to be hurt by a first love, or is it that she had some bad luck. Is it because she refuses to feel? I ended this book feeling even more confused than when I started. Why did I give it two stars? I actually gave it three, then went back and took away a star. “No more stars for you!” I don’t know…maybe because the writing was pretty good, but story was just plain confusing. Also from what I understand, this is a new type of book for the writer. So kudos to her for branching out. And kudos to me for actually finishing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment