Blame it on the Books

We have a healthy but addictive obsession with all things books.

Review

Review

Blog Archive

Friday, September 5, 2014

Joint Review: Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover

Ugly Love
Add caption
Title: Ugly Love
Author: Colleen Hoover
Pages: 320
Publisher: Atria Books

Pub Date: August 5th, 2014
Add to Goodreads

When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she knows it isn’t love at first sight. They wouldn’t even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn’t want love, she doesn’t have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her.

Never ask about the past.
Don’t expect a future.

They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can’t handle it at all.

Hearts get infiltrated.
Promises get broken.
Rules get shattered.
Love gets ugly.


Follow on Bloglovin

Nemo's Review


Oh. My. Gosh.

I’m sitting in front of my laptop trying to figure out what to write. Other than just go read this. Go read this now. Not only did it have toe curling romance it was dramatic and broke my heart to pieces.
It starts off very light and humorous, with our main girl, Tate, who is now moving in with her brother. She just got there and she immediately meets two very “interesting” character. When she gets to his apartment she meets another one. A hot but drunk guy whose covering the door, turns out the drunk sad guy is Miles.
Miles has a lot of baggage, and Tate knows this from day one but even then she can’t stop her thoughts going to him and when he proposes a feeling-free relationship she can’t say no.

It was fun to be inside of Tate’s head, she was witty and imaginative, and I really felt her pain at being in love with someone who was so damaged and couldn’t love her or back. Now why was Tate so damaged? That’s another of my favorite things about this book. It’s written so that we have one regular chapter and another chapter which is a poem that tells us a little tidbit of Miles past.
It was excruciating because its not until 80% that we finally find out what happened to Miles, and when they finally tell us, not gonna lie, it took everything I had to not start bawling. Those last few chapters where just so beautiful!

I do have a few complains that make it less then perfect. Although Tate was an overworked college student she acted as if she were a 28 year old jaded woman. She didn’t party, she didn’t have friends, and she kept saying what a fool she was but… she kept making the same mistakes! It was so frustrating! The only side character we really see is Cap, an adorable eighty year old man who is friends with both sides. The rest of characters are all family and we don’t even see a lot of them.

Overall it’s definitely worth the pain to read this book because its beautifully written and one I’ll never forget it.



Bree's review
I bought this book early. I mean, I actually went to the bookstore and scoured the shelves to find an early copy because I had been waiting months for this book. Colleen Hoover has never disappointed me, and I knew this time would be no different. I let a few people misguide my judgement. A friend told me that she was halfway through and it wasn't that great, and a few other people said it was slow and hard to get into. Sadly, I set the book aside, afraid this would be like "Mud Vein" all over again. A few weeks down the line, I decided to just do it. Read it and get it over with. What's the worse that could happen? 
I was blown away from the first page! The story follows Miles Archer and Tate Collins. Miles has a secret that forbids him from falling in love, Tate wants to fall in love, but like most girls, ignores the hard truth right in front of her. I don't know I kept screaming" You're a fool!" to each character. Miles- because he won't just give us his secret and just love her already. Tate- because she kept putting herself out there when it was so obvious Miles would never love her. By the end of the book, I was crying and my heart hurt in so many places. It was raw, beautiful and gut-wrenchingly UGLY LOVE. 
My only complaint? I felt like Colleen Hoover was trying to top Mud Vein with the odd writing styles and time swap, she even freaking names a character after Tarryn. Other than that, I loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment